With pear. Because the power of pear is totally underestimated. And dates come to think of it, because dates are totally awesome as well. It adds up to a totally fruity cake. With some walnuts sprinkled on top I think it looks like a totally ‘rustique’ cake for some reason.
Let me tell you a secret: the cake tastes wonderful and I know you can’t wait to try it. It almost tastes healthy with all the fruits in it. Personally I think this is a way better alternative to apple pie. Then again, I’m really no fan of apple pie.
Apple Spice Cake
225 grams self-rising flour
3 spoons wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
175 grams dates
75 grams (palm) sugar
1 tablespoon apple (and pear) sauce
120 ml apple juice
90 ml sunflower oil
2 apples or 1 apple and 1 pear or 2 small apples and 1/2 a pear
1 tablespoon walnuts
1. Start with preparing the ingredients: chop the dates and the walnuts, grate the apples and pear and make the apple & pear sauce if you didn’t want to buy a whole jar for 1 spoon. (See recipe below)
2. Sift the self-raising flour, baking powder and cinnamon together. Add the wholemeal flour.
3. Mix the sugar with the apple sauce. And then add the apple juice, eggs -lightly beaten-, sunflower oil and grated apple and pear.
4. Finally add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Line a baking tin with greaseproof paper or butter it in. Spoon the mixture into the tin and sprinkle it with chopped walnuts.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven on 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
And? Are you getting excited as well? I should definitely try a recipe like this with only pear. That's all I have to say about it. Awesome cake. It will be made again!
Oh yes! For the apple and pear sauce! Here it goes:
Diced apple and/or pear
Juice and/or water
1. Put the apple and pear in a pan in a bottom of juice. Make sure you have more fruit than juice. Make sure you always have a little bit of juice in your pan so the fruits don't burn.
2. Put the lid on the pan and leave it on the fire to simmer.
3. After a while check and stir, add more juice and leave again if necessary. Use a fork to mash the fruit and add some sugar to taste. And voilà! Super easy, super quick apple sauce!
Edit: Want to see more recent pictures of this cake? I'm showing them off in this post!